Flu Season: Offering the Chalice and Shaking of Hands
Bishop Bartchak has asked that the Precious Blood of the Lord not be offered at Mass temporarily. Reception of Holy Communion on the hand is encouraged; however, reception on the tongue may not be denied. Also, the exchange of the sign of peace should avoid bodily contact. A reverent nod with eye contact and a smile will be the temporary practice. These norms are in effect throughout the winter months or until flu season is over.
ANNUAL TYRONE MARCH FOR LIFE sponsored by the Knight of Columbus will take place Sunday, January 19th, beginning with a short prayer service in our church at 12 Noon. Marchers will then walk—or drive—from St. Matthew’s to Oak Grove Cemetery where a prayer service will be held at the grave of Baby Agnes. Lunch will be provided after the walk at Harkins Hall. Let us take a stand to respect all life “from womb to tomb”.
- On Monday, January 20, 2020, the Knights of Columbus is sponsoring a bowling and pizza party from 1-3 pm for K-12 students from the St. Joseph and St. Matthew parishes as well as a guest. Please sign up either in the back of the church or side room of St. Joseph or sign up in the Gathering Space of St. Matthew.
- PCGG (prison Christian Growth Group) is having a team meeting on Sunday, February 16th at 7 pm at Good Shepherd Church in State College. Anyone who may be interested in finding out more about this ministry is invited to attend. Visiting prisoners is one of the Corporal Acts of Mercy. Please call/email Teresa Jeffries at 814-381-1317 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- ARISE Small Group Leaders and Participants Season Four of ARISE calls us to be open to a New Heart and a New Spirit. Together we will be praying for wisdom to respond to the circumstances which the Lord places before us each day. To prepare for this powerful Season a Convocation highlighting the grace of forgiveness and mercy as well as seeking gentle ways to draw others to return to the Church will be held Sunday, January 26th in Harkins Hall from 2-4 pm. The presenter will be Peter Ascosi from Christ Life, Catholic Ministry for Evangelization. Please register online by visiting our ARISE section of the Diocesan website www.dioceseaj.org. Click on the ARISE circle on the upper right of the home page.
- Rosary Making On the 3rd and 4th Thursday of every month at 1 pm in the gathering space, we will be making rosaries for the apostleship of the Seas and Military Service members. All are welcome to come and help make rosaries. All materials will be provided. If school is cancelled the session will not be held. Thank you.
- SAVE THE DATE: On Saturday, February 8th, Saint Matthew Parish will be hosting our 2nd annual Spaghetti Dinner in Msgr. Harkins Hall. Price is $5/person or $10/family (which will be returned at the dinner). More information will follow in the parish bulletin.
- Mass Scheduling for 2020 Please note in scheduling of Masses for 2020, there will most likely be two intentions for each mass due to a reduction in mass availability times and a backlog of mass intentions. Sunday masses will be limited to two per family per year. In addition, there will be no mass intentions accepted for at least the first 6 months of this year due to a backlog of masses and when mass intentions are accepted the number of masses you can request may be limited. Thank you for patience and understanding.
Knights of Columbus – If you are between the ages of 18-88+ and are a Catholic gentlemen in communion with the Holy See, you are eligible to become a Knight of Columbus! Why should you join the K of C? If you would like to be more actively involved in your church and community, support projects for those in need, and become involved in a program you are greatly committed to, then you need us! Because we need you! We need men who are willing to share their special talents and abilities with others. What a great way of thanking Jesus for your many blessings! Contact Rich NcNelis 814-321-4013, Membership Director, St. Gregory Council 1218
Please note that if you have not received your bi-monthly contribution envelopes or have changes in address, you need to contact the parish office. Changes in name and address usually take at least an envelope cycle (2-3 months) to change due to company turnaround. Thank you for your cooperation and patience.
All occasion cards are available in the gathering space. Please feel free to take any cards you want. Also, if you have cards you would like to donate for someone else to use please, leave them by the box.
- Home Nursing Agency is seeking volunteers for their program, Healing Patch (to aid children who have lost a parent or sibling). New volunteers receive comprehensive training and have assistance in obtaining necessary clearances. For more information, contact Melody Ray at (814) 947-7200 or email@example.com.
- Saint Francis University’s Adult Degree & Continuing Studies program caters to adult learners. Our programs are accredited and fully online. We offer affordable tuition. Check out our programs in Business, Early Childhood Education, Behavioral Science, Health Studies, and more! If you’re interested in learning more you can call us at 814-472-3012, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or at www.francis/edu/adcs. Become that Someone today!
CATHOLIC REGISTER: In the Gathering Space are copies of the Catholic Register. The Register will no longer be mailed to individual parishioners but copies will be sent to each parish for distribution monthly.
The Diocese has also launched an on–line newspaper –PROCLAIM!: The Good News of Altoona-Johnstown featuring diocesan news, information, and commentary – including happenings at parishes and schools. Visit the site at www.proclaim.dioceseaj.org and sign up for
- Try Catholic Radio – WJVM 90.3 FM the Voice of Divine Mercy
- PROJECT RACHEL: Would you like to find peace in your heart with your aborted child, with God, with the Church? Don’t be afraid, the door is open. For women, men, anyone wounded by abortion. Contact Project Rachel 814-884-8000. ProjectRachel@dioceseaj.org. All calls are confidential.
- AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of eligible purchase to our parish. Please go to the following link: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/23-1390606 and you can start helping our church in this very easy way.
- Please remember our local Tyrone Food Bank during these long winter months. Canned soups, peanut butter, cereal, jelly, and personal care items are always needed. The Food Bank requests that dates on all donations be current. Expired items cannot be accepted.
Liturgical Ministries Schedule