- CEMETERY UPDATE As we are approaching the celebration of All Souls (November 2) and we remember and pray for our deceased relatives and friends we are also reminded of the fact that one day we will need a burial spot where our earthly remains will be laid to rest. We are blessed with two cemeteries where we can be buried: Saint Luke in Sinking Valley and Oak Grove in Tyrone. I would like to let you know that the price for the privilege of burial (including perpetual care) in a plot of ground (or what has been referred to as buying a cemetery plot) in either of these cemeteries will increase from $350 to $400 starting January 1, 2020. If interested, please stop at the church office and make arrangements. Father Jozef
- PRISON MINISTRY VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
PCGG (Prison Christian Growth Group) is seeking volunteers interested in ministering to inmates at Benner and Rockview prisons. Twice a month, PCGG members visit inmates at the two prisons and participate in faith-sharing groups. A fulfilling and inspiring ministry, members are answering Jesus’ call to visit the prisoners. Anyone interested in more information may contact Teresa Jeffries at 914-381-1317 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
ARISE – A few copies of the ARISE Together with Christ study guides are available for $8.00 each. If you are not in an ARISE group, but want to share in these faith sharing and Christian action challenges, contact the Parish Office to have a booklet reserved.
CCW Haiti Tea – You are invited to a Harvest Tea and Basket Raffle on Sunday, November 24, 2019, from 2-4 pm at Saint Patrick’s Parish Hall in Newry. Treat yourself, family, and friends to a relaxing afternoon. There will be over 150 baskets raffled. Chances are 25 for $5.00. Tickets purchased before Nov. 1 are $15. Tickets purchased after November 1st are $18. Proceeds from this event benefit the Carmelite Community of the Word Hands and Hearts Haiti Ministry. For tickets, send names of those attending and payment to CCW Hands and Hearts Haiti Ministry, 394 Bem Rd. Gallitzin PA 16641. For information call 814-886-4098.
Great News! Our Saint Matthew Parish Directory is completed. They will be available for pick-up the weekend of October 12th and 13th in the Gathering Space. Your name will be on the directory and will they will be placed in alphabetical order. Thanks to Sister Karen and her committee for the long hours spent to provide our Parish community with this beautiful directory.
- Good Shepherd Catholic Church is holding a Fall Craft Fair on November 2nd from 10 am to 3pm. Wide selection of craft items available for sale and live music by the Group Therapy Acoustic Band from 11 am to 1 pm.
- Help Wanted: Mission Advancement Associate The Independent Catholic Foundation in Altoona has an opening for an administrative assistant with marketing experience to support the board and president through a 30-hour work week position at the rate of $25/hour. A detailed description (with application instructions) is available online at www.icfdaj.org
CHORAL PROGRAM AT MOUNT CARMEL CHURCH, ALTOONA The Coral Ensemble from Juniata College under the direction of Dr. Russ Shelley will be performing “Misa Criolla” on Saturday, November 2nd at 7:30 pm, at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, 1100 8th Avenue, Altoona, 16602. Featured in the program will be a duo on Andes instruments. This program is part of the Concert Series. A free will offering will be taken to benefit the Mt. Carmel Pipe Organ Campaign. All are welcome to attend.
- Old Testament class is being offered in two locations by the Office of Adult Enrichment and Lay Ecclesial Ministry. Beginning Tuesday, October 29th, this 8-week class will be offered by Fr. Brian Saylor at St. Rose of Lima, Altoona and on Wednesday, October 30th by Fr. Peter Crowe at St. Patrick School, Johnstown. Class time is 6:30-8:30 PM. This class may be taken for continuing education hours. The cost of this class which includes registration and book fee is $65. You may register online at www.dioceseaj.org/lay-ecclesial-ministry or by calling or emailing Marybeth at 814-361-2000 or email@example.com All are welcome!
- Estate Planning Workshop – The Independent Catholic Foundation is sponsoring a free estate planning workshop on Friday, November 8th at the Sacred Heart Formation Center on 6th Avenue in Altoona. Learn about testamentary wills, trusts. Catholic-aligned Living Wills and Health Care Power of Attorney, and more. Space is limited to 30 participants. Please call the Foundation at 814-201-2080 with your name and daytime phone number to reserve your place.
Catholic Daughters of the Americas
CDA is sponsoring a Fall Craft Fair on Saturday, November 2rd – crafter and vendor applications are located in the Gathering Space. A gently used designer purse sale will also take place. Need information please call Debbie Zakrzwski at 632-3070.
CDA Membership Information Available
The Catholic Daughters of the Americas is the largest Catholic women’s organization in the Americas. Our mission is to serve our Church, Country, and communities.
Our regular monthly meetings are held the first Wednesday of each month at 6:30 PM in Harkin’s Hall. Catholic women ages 18 yrs. and older are welcome. For more information, call Sue Ronan, 814-632-8585 or Susan Sharer, 814-932-5182.
The Family Activities Committee of CDA is planning a Halloween party for parishioners of Saint Matthew and Saint Joseph. The party will be held on Sunday, October 27th after the 10:30 mass, from noon until 2 pm. Children (and adults, too!) are encouraged to wear costumes. A pizza lunch will be provided. There must be at least one parent attending. Sign up in the Gathering Space or call Danielle Gibbons (814-330-4190) or Amy Brisbin (814-931-4702) All are welcome!
Donations of candies and/or Halloween prizes would be very much appreciated. A donation box is located in the Gathering Space.
All occasion cards are available in the gathering space. Please feel free to take any cards you want. Also, if you have cards you would like to donate for someone else to use please, leave them by the box.
- Arts & Crafts Show – Saint Michael School will be hosting their 40th Annual Arts & Crafts Show on Saturday, October 19th and Sunday, October 20th at Our Lady of Loretto Community Hall from 10:00am to 4:00pm on Saturday and 10am to 3pm on Sunday. Homemade soups, sandwiches, and baked goods will be available for purchase. Over 70 vendors will be on hand to sell their beautiful handcrafted items. Chances will be available on a Samsung Chromebook, gift cards, baskets, and 50/50. FREE admission and FREE door prize chances. Any questions, please contact Renee Phister at 322-7836.
Home Nursing Agency is seeking volunteers for their program, Healing Patch (to aid children who have lost a parent or sibling). New volunteers receive comprehensive training and have assistance in obtaining necessary clearances. For more information, contact Melody Ray at (814) 947-7200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT FROM THE PA Pro-Life Federation House Bill 111, the so-called merit selection of judges bill, would take away the public right to vote for judges. Instead, a pro-abortion Governor could make the appointments. The bill could be voted on by the PA House of Representatives at any time.
ACTION ITEM: Please call and email your state representative with this urgent message: “Please oppose House Bill 111, I do not want my right to vote for judges to be taken away.”
If you do not know who your state representative is, or you need contact information, visit:
CANCER AFFECTS EVERYONE – Our Community holds “Blair Relay for Life” each June at Mansion park for a 24 hour period to support all current or past CANCER FIGHERS/SURVICORS. Our Lady of Lourdes Church is attempting to change the one Catholic parish team into an Altoona Deanery team with as many parishes being represented as possible. We will be holding three meetings (August, January, May) in the basement of Our Lady of Lourdes to discuss the details of the Relay. The meetings will be no longer than one hour in length.
This is a great opportunity for different parishes to come together, especially our youth/young adults. Relay for Life is a wonderful time for fellowship with parishioners of all ages, especially cancer survivors. Activities are planned throughout the entire 24 hour period for teams to get involved and have fun.
We are eagerly awaiting your response to be a participant to our new team. Please reach out to Allison Gressler at email@example.com or 814-327-2580 or Kayley Burke at 814-502-5545 with any questions on Relay.
- Saint Francis University’s Adult Degree & Continuing Studies program caters to adult learners. Our programs are accredited and fully online. We offer affordable tuition. Check out our programs in Business, Early Childhood Education, Behavioral Science, Health Studies, and more! If you’re interested in learning more you can call us at 814-472-3012, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or at www.francis/edu/adcs. Become that Someone today!
CATHOLIC REGISTER: In the Gathering Space are copies of the Catholic Register. The Register will no longer be mailed to individual parishioners but copies will be sent to each parish for distribution monthly.
The Diocese has also launched an on–line newspaper –PROCLAIM!: The Good News of Altoona-Johnstown featuring diocesan news, information, and commentary – including happenings at parishes and schools. Visit the site at www.proclaim.dioceseaj.org and sign up for regular e-mail updates delivered to your inbox.
Families United for Change We are a group of Family Members affected by Addiction starting a grass roots effort to bring about change in recovery. Meetings are every second Tuesday of the Month at 7 pm. Location is Hope Community Church, 1520 11th Street, Lower Level, Altoona PA For questions please call 814-934-8067
- Try Catholic Radio – WJVM 90.3 FM the Voice of Divine Mercy
- PROJECT RACHEL: Would you like to find peace in your heart with your aborted child, with God, with the Church? Don’t be afraid, the door is open. For women, men, anyone wounded by abortion. Contact Project Rachel 814-884-8000. ProjectRachel@dioceseaj.org. All calls are confidential.
- AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of eligible purchase to our parish. Please go to the following link: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/23-1390606 and you can start helping our church in this very easy way.
- Please remember our local Tyrone Food Bank during these long winter months. Canned soups, peanut butter, cereal, jelly, and personal care items are always needed. The Food Bank requests that dates on all donations be current. Expired items cannot be accepted.
Liturgical Ministries Schedule