NOTE: The Christian faithful will be obliged to participate at Mass beginning on Sunday, August 15, 2021.
Special Collection July 31st/August 1st: Please note that in your current packet of monthly envelopes there is a special envelope marked, “Missionary CO-OP” that’s because Fr. Michael McCormack, O.P., will preach a mission appeal at our parish on July 31-August 1 to share the good works of the Dominican Friars in East Africa. Fr. Michael invites all parishioners to become partners in mission with the friars serving in the mission, where they are engaged in the work of evangelization and faith development. The pandemic continues to severely impact the poor and underserved communities in Kenya where the friars serve. The Dominican Friars depend on the support of the Catholic faithful here at home. Your generosity is greatly appreciated
Celebration of Marriage: Bishop Mark Bartchak and the Family Life Office cordially invite all couples celebrating 1, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60+ years of marriage in 2021 (and their families) to attend the Annual Wedding Anniversary Liturgy. Couples may attend Sunday, September 12th in Altoona at Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament or Sunday, September 19th in Johnstown at St. John Gualbert Cathedral. Both locations are handicap accessible. Liturgies in each location begin at 2 pm. Bishop Mark will be the celebrant and homilist at each celebration. Refreshments/snacks will be available after the Mass for anniversary couples and their families, as COVID safety measures permit. Deadline is Sunday, August 22nd.
Spiritual Life: Are you or someone you know unable to attend Mass and would like to receive Communion? The Spiritual Life Eucharistic Ministers can bring this important sacrament to you. Whether a person lives at home or in a care facility, is temporarily or permanently home bound due to illness or COVID concerns, or has other circumstances that do not allow for attendance at Mass, we are available. Please contact the church office at 814-684-1480 with the name of the person(s) that may desire Communion and a contact phone number and we will get in touch.
Is there another reason you may not be attending Mass? Just like the prodigal son, everyone is joyfully welcomed back home and we, your parish family, want to have you join us at our table. Please contact the church office and ask to speak to Father Jozef, or request a call back from a member of the Spiritual Life Committee so we can offer you options on what would be most helpful to you.
- Religious Education Registration form for 2021-22 is located in the Gathering Space. Please consider registering your child to assist in planning and the purchase of materials.
We welcome Lauren Wright as our Religious Education Director. Pease support and pray for her that she may be the best DRE she can be.
Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) ~ Are you or someone you know interested in joining the Catholic Church? In Catholic life, it is necessary to be confirmed in order to be a godparent at Baptism or sponsor at Confirmation. If you are an adult and need the Sacraments of Initiation of Baptism, Confirmation, and the Eucharist please call Sue Burkholder at 684-0352 for more information or to make an appointment.
SUMMER TRADITION RETURNS Outdoor Masses will be celebrated at the Our Lady of the Alleghenies Shrine in Loretto every Sunday night at 7:00 p.m. beginning on Memorial Day weekend – May 30 and continuing through Labor Day weekend – September 5. In the event of inclement weather, Mass will be celebrated inside the Basilica of Saint Michael the Archangel. Faithful are invited to come early to the outdoor Mass (bring your own chair) and visit one of the most historic sites in the diocese, the Prince Gallitzin Chapel House. The Chapel House will be open for self-guided tours from 3:00-6:00 p.m. on June 6 and 20; July 18; and August 1, 15, and 29. The humble structure was the home and personal chapel of the Prince-Priest and Servant of God Demetrius Gallitzin. Today, it stands as a museum, which contains artifacts from Father Gallitzin’s personal life.
Take a Tour of Our Lady of Victory Catholic School (OLVCS) We might be just what you are looking for! Take some time this summer and learn more about Our Lady of Victory Middle School. Academic Excellence. Anchored in Faith. We provide opportunities for students to excel in academics, athletics, fine arts, and other extra-curricular activities. We are committed to the highest standards of learning for all of our students and provide a classroom environment that is most conducive to learning. Our certified teachers are continually improving their skills through in-service and post-certification opportunities. We enable students to reach their full potential and learn the skills needed to succeed at school and life! We are proud and blessed that we offered in-person learning this entire school year. To learn more and to enroll, visit, olvcatholicschool.org. Email Cindy Kolarik at email@example.com to schedule a tour. Experience the love of Christ at our Catholic School.
SAVE THE DATE – St. Matthew Parish is holding the Parish Picnic on August 22, 2021 at Reservoir Park. We will celebrate Mass and enjoy food & fun together. More details to follow. Please contact Jason Terosky (firstname.lastname@example.org) or any Parish Council member if you are interested in helping with this event.
CCW Endless Summer Golf Tournament – You will now have the chance to pick your day to golf with your friends/family at Scotch Valley Country Club ending on September 17th. PRICE: Foursome: $350; Threesome: $300; Twosome: $250. No individual tickets/no teams of 6. Price includes green fees and cart rental. Each golfer will receive a food voucher.
- Complete and mail your team information with payment to 394 Bem Road, Gallitzin, PA 16641. A postcard noting your payment information will be mailed.
- Determine a Monday-Friday until September 17th to golf. Call Scotch Valley at 814-695-1478 to schedule a tee-time and mention you are golfing with the CCW tournament.
- Hand in your scores after golfing. There will be prizes for 4 teams! Questions are to be directed to email@example.com or call at 814-475-4435 Monday-Friday between 9 am and 3 pm.
- The Carmelite Community of the Word will celebrate a Memorial Prayer Service honoring the life of Sr. Celeste Ciesielka who died from Covid-19 on December 15, 2020. Sr. Celeste served in many roles and touched the lives of many throughout the Diocese. Family, friends and co-workers are invited to join in this celebration to be held at the CCW Incarnation Center Motherhouse, 394 Bem Rd, Gallitzin, PA on Sunday, August 1, 2021. An outdoor prayer service is planned for 2 pm with a reception to continue until 4 pm. Attendees are asked to bring a lawn chair if possible to compliment seating within a tent. Please respond by July 28th -emailing communityofficeCCW@gmail.com.
- Saint Joseph Mission Church in Carrolltown blessed by Servant of God, Demetrius Gallitzin on October 10, 1830, will be opening once a month for visitation and self-guided tours. The Church will open from Noon to 3 pm on August 1st and Sept. 5th. Website: http://www.sjmc1830.com
Help Needed – The funeral luncheon committee is looking for more volunteers. This is a great opportunity to do something special for members of our parish. Currently there are two groups that alternate serving luncheons after funerals. The hours are usually 11 am to 2 pm. As a volunteer, you will be called by the team leader when your team has a funeral lunch to serve. Most committee members are retired and have a flexible schedule, therefore if a member cannot participate there is someone to fill in. If interested, call or text Amy Brisbin at 814-931-4702. Thank you!
- Anyone interested in becoming a member of the Parish Council please contact Jason Terosky at 814-883-0077 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or the parish office.
St. Aloysius Church in Cresson, PA would like to extend an invitation to participate in the Praise and Worship prayer meetings on Tuesdays at 1:30 pm on Zoom with Father Bob Hilz, meeting ID# 6726349049 or dial 929-205-6099.
If you are in need of counseling, Catholic Counselors of America LLC is open by appointment at St. Aloysius Faith Education and Community Center. By calling Leorosie Trexler at 814-505-7178.
May God Our Father, through Our Lord Jesus Christ, bless you and your family, and may Our Blessed Mother Mary cover you in her mantle of protection!
- Cindy O’Connor of the Office of Child and Youth Protection office of the Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown has requested that we provide educational article each month provide by VIRTUS of The National Catholic Risk Retention Group, Inc. This month’s article is Our Pledge to Protect Vulnerable Adults, by Judge Kate Huffman. This article is available in the vestibule and also on the parish website.
The Family Life Office of the Altoona-Johnstown Diocese has a ministry, Heaven’s Treasure. The ministry attempts to reach out to families who have experienced the loss of a child through miscarriage or early fetal death by providing them with spiritual tools to help them to grieve their child through the care of the Catholic Church. Please call the office at 814-695-5579 or email email@example.com for more information.
MASS INTENTION SCHEDULING: The parish staff would like to extend our appreciation for the patience extended during the past year in the restrictions in scheduling of Masses. As a result, Mass intentions will now be accepted. Mass intention or requests will be limited to 3 masses for each family per year (only one Mass can be for the weekend or Holy Day). We schedule as we receive mass intentions and will do our best to honor your requests. Please keep in mind to be kind and considerate of others and this will allow as many as possible in our parish family to be able to request a celebration of Mass. Remember that the value of a Mass is infinite no matter when it is celebrated.
- Please note that the annual collection of religious articles takes place once a year in February. You are asked to please keep items to exchange/donate until that time. The gathering space is not a drop off for old or not used items throughout the year. If an item is not blessed you may discard of it on your own.
- Try Catholic Radio – WJVM 90.3 FM the Voice of Divine Mercy
- PROJECT RACHEL: Would you like to find peace in your heart with your aborted child, with God, with the Church? Don’t be afraid, the door is open. For women, men, anyone wounded by abortion. Contact Project Rachel 814-884-8000. ProjectRachel@dioceseaj.org. All calls are confidential.
- AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of eligible purchase to our parish. Please go to the following link: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/23-1390606 and you can start helping our church in this very easy way.
- Please remember our local Tyrone Food Bank. Canned soups, peanut butter, cereal, jelly, and personal care items are always needed. The Food Bank requests that dates on all donations be current. Expired items cannot be accepted.