BIG THANK YOU to Gia Patton and her years of teaching and service to the catechetical ministry at our Saint Matthew Parish. Gia served as both DRE and CCD teacher and also taught at our Saint Matthew School. We thank her for love and dedication to faith education. Her life certainly brought many blessings to our children and youth. May our good and gracious Lord continue to bless her and her family in their future undertakings.
Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) begins August 19th ~ Are you or someone you know interested in joining the Catholic Church? In Catholic life, it is necessary to be confirmed in order to be a godparent at Baptism or sponsor at Confirmation. If you are an adult and need the Sacraments of Initiation of Baptism, Confirmation, and the Eucharist please join our group on Wednesday evenings at 6:30 PM in the Gathering Space beginning August 19th. For more information call Sue Burkholder at 684-0352.
Religious Education Registration forms and fees are due by August 25th. Forms were emailed and are available on the parish website. Please remit all forms and payments to the parish office in an envelope marked Attn: Gia Patton on them. If no information has changed from last year, please only submit the fee schedule form with your payment.
In the event we experience a resurgence of the pandemic as schools open and Religious Education begins again, online lessons, resources and materials need to be created. We will also need to develop a system to carefully observe social distancing and disinfecting protocols. If interested in helping with these endeavors, please contact Gia Patton.
Co-teachers needed for kindergarten, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades. Substitutes and guest speakers needed for all grades. Please prayerfully consider volunteering for this ministry and contact our Director of Religious Education, Gia Patton for more information. The registration fee is waived for all teachers. Thank you!
House for sale: Anyone interested in the purchase of the house on 303 West 11th Street, Tyrone, PA where the sisters used to live should contact Father Jozef or call the parish office for an appointment. The size of the property is 6,530 square feet or 60×70 feet. The detached garage is 18×22 feet. The house is 3,060 square feet, 2 ½ stories, finished basement and attic, 10 rooms, 2 1/2 baths, 2 fireplaces, 3 porches, gas heating.
Fall Classes Faith formation is a life-long endeavor. By virtue of our baptism, we are called to continually grow closer to Christ through a life of prayer, service, and knowledge of our faith. The Office of Adult Enrichment and Lay Ecclesial Ministry has announced the following classes for the 2020 Fall Schedule: Heart of Faith, Old Testament, New Testament, Wisdom Literature and Psalms. For a description of classes, locations, times, registration forms and to learn more about our programs visit www.dioceseaj.org/lay-ecclesial-ministry/ or contact Marybeth at (814) 361-2000. All are welcome!
SUMMER REMINDER: MASS ATTIRE Each Sunday we gather as a parish community to praise and thank our great God, to experience His Loving mercy and place our needs before Him. We are guided by His Word and nourished by His own Body and Blood.
Parishioners of all ages are reminded that, although the church has no set dress code, appropriate dress for Mass includes clean, conservative and modest clothing, expressing our heart’s devotion to God and our desire to strengthen (vs distract from) the faith of those around us.
There is a website www.masstimes.org where you can find a catholic church as you are traveling. Please use it so you don’t miss Sunday celebration of the Eucharist.
Outdoor Mass honoring Married Couples with Bishop Mark The Altoona-Johnstown Diocesan Family is invited to participate and to pray for those living the Sacrament of Marriage at an Outdoor Mass honoring Married Couples on Sunday evening, July 19 at 7:00 pm at the Shrine of Our Lady of the Alleghenies in Loretto. Bring a lawn chair. In-doors if rain. This is a wonderful way to celebrate, encourage and support married couples!
Celebrating a Wedding Anniversary? If you are celebrating 1, 5, 10, 25, 30, 50, 55, 60, and 60 plus years of marriage in 2019 and you would like to attend the Annual Wedding Anniversary Liturgy on Sept. 13th in Altoona or Sept. 20th in Johnstown, contact the parish office for details. Reservations must be made by Monday, August 24th.
The Friar’s Nook Gift Shop-Christmas in July is upon us! At the Friar’s Nook Gift Shop, all clearance items as 75% off through August 1st! Also, the shop is still stocked up for all of your sacrament needs! The shop will continue to have modified hours through Labor Day which are Fridays and Saturdays, 10 am to 4 pm, and is located on the campus of Saint Bernardine Monastery at 793 Monastery Road, Hollidaysburg. For any questions, please call 814-695-3802.
- Confirmation Date has been scheduled for Saturday, September 12th at 7 pm
- Religious Education News: Instructors needed for Grades 1, 3, 5, and 6. Please prayerfully consider volunteering for this ministry and contact Gia Patton for more details.
- OUTDOOR SUMMER MASSES to be held at 7 pm at the beautiful Shrine of Our Lady of the Alleghenies in Loretto, PA. Masses will continue through Labor Day Weekend, September 7th. Please bring a lawn chair. In the event of inclement weather, the Mass will be celebrated in the Basilica of Saint Michael the Archangel.
- Announcing the re-opening of Catholic Counselor of America at Saint Aloysius Faith Education and Community Center in Cresson, PA. We’re in this together with you. We fuse our wills to God’s Most Holy and Divine Will and live out our calling to be God’s instruments of His peace and blessings. We would be honored to be of service to you. Call 814-505-7178 for information or to schedule an appointment.
- Mass Scheduling for 2020 Please note in scheduling of Masses for 2020, there will most likely be two intentions for each mass due to a reduction in mass availability times and a backlog of mass intentions. Sunday masses will be limited to two per family per year. In addition, there will be no mass intentions accepted until later in the year due to a backlog of masses and when mass intentions are accepted the number of masses you can request may be limited. Thank you for patience and understanding.
Knights of Columbus – If you are between the ages of 18-88+ and are a Catholic gentlemen in communion with the Holy See, you are eligible to become a Knight of Columbus! Why should you join the K of C? If you would like to be more actively involved in your church and community, support projects for those in need, and become involved in a program you are greatly committed to, then you need us! Because we need you! We need men who are willing to share their special talents and abilities with others. What a great way of thanking Jesus for your many blessings! Contact Rich NcNelis 814-321-4013, Membership Director, St. Gregory Council 1218
Please note that if you have not received your bi-monthly contribution envelopes or have changes in address, you need to contact the parish office. Changes in name and address usually take at least an envelope cycle (2-3 months) to change due to company turnaround. Thank you for your cooperation and patience.
Home Nursing Agency is seeking volunteers for their program, Healing Patch (to aid children who have lost a parent or sibling). New volunteers receive comprehensive training and have assistance in obtaining necessary clearances. For more information, contact Melody Ray at (814) 947-7200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Saint Francis University’s Adult Degree & Continuing Studies program caters to adult learners. Our programs are accredited and fully online. We offer affordable tuition. Check out our programs in Business, Early Childhood Education, Behavioral Science, Health Studies, and more! If you’re interested in learning more you can call us at 814-472-3012, email email@example.com, or at www.francis/edu/adcs. Become that Someone today!
- Try Catholic Radio – WJVM 90.3 FM the Voice of Divine Mercy
- PROJECT RACHEL: Would you like to find peace in your heart with your aborted child, with God, with the Church? Don’t be afraid, the door is open. For women, men, anyone wounded by abortion. Contact Project Rachel 814-884-8000. ProjectRachel@dioceseaj.org. All calls are confidential.
- AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of eligible purchase to our parish. Please go to the following link: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/23-1390606 and you can start helping our church in this very easy way.
- Please remember our local Tyrone Food Bank. Canned soups, peanut butter, cereal, jelly, and personal care items are always needed. The Food Bank requests that dates on all donations be current. Expired items cannot be accepted.
Registraton Forms – Parish and Religious Education